Stream I/O to something other than a file

I would like to be able to manipulate an X-10 home control system from
MACL.  The interface plugs into the serial port (I forget which one I
have it plugged in to).  Is tere a way to open a bidirectional stream to
the serial port so a lisp program can communicate with the X-10
uinterface?

I've begun to manipulate my phone nd address database in MACL because
none of the canned software pachages on the market do all the things I
want.  I want to be able to print out the phone list using a small font
and some tabification.  I've tried outputting RTF directives to a text
file but Microsoft Word isn't doing a good job of reading it in.  Is
there a way that I can output to the printer driver while controling
font and tabification?