Re: full-blown application in MACL?

Tom McDougal <mcdougal@gargoyle.uchicago.edu> wrote:
>I am inquiring on behalf of a friend (converse@cs.uchicago.edu).
>Has anyone out there developed a full-blown application using
>MACL?

I've generated applications ('full blown', I'm not sure...) in MACL and
the results have always left a bad taste in my mouth.  I guess the worst
parts are 1) humongous applications (my last simple project was about 950k
on disk) and 2) no incremental garbage collection.  I've ended up thinking
that MACL is a great AI hacking environment, but a pretty poor Mac application
programming environment.  I'm hoping, though, that some of this will change
with 2.0.  The APDA press release said "This new version offers additional
tools and increased performance to further aid programmers in their
application development."  It also said that MACL generated apps will still
require 2Megs of RAM...  I'm wondering if someone who's already playing
with 2.0 could comment on other application-generation features of 2.0.
Specifically, I'd like to know if there are improvements with respect to
application size and non-intrusive GC, but I'd like to hear about any related
features as well.

  Thanks!  -Lee (spector@cs.umd.edu)

P.S. Does anyone know if there's a student price for the 2.0 upgrade, and if
not who I should gripe to?   Free upgrades to Site Licencees but $250 for
poor students seems a bit out of line...