MCL possibilities

Date: Mon, 14 Oct 91 16:41+0100
From: Vincent Keunen <keunen@milou.nrb.be>
Subject: MCL possibilities
To: uucp%"info-mcl@cambridge.apple.com"@nrbv01

We are developing a rather large control system for computer networks
using a Symbolics machine.  We are in the process of evaluating how to
deliver this large product.  I was thinking of porting it to MCL 2.0
with CLIM.  Could some of you tell me the various problems I may
encounter in this porting?

We heavily use CLOS & CLIM.  I think MCL can support this, but what
about the "processes"?  We use Symbolics timers to start up various
processes (at various preset times).  Is there a way, in MCL to say "run
this function on that date, at that time".  How hard is it to do that?

We also use a lot the networking functions.  Does MCL have easy access
to the Mac network substrate?  Possibly thru the Comm ToolBox?

Are there any other things that I'm going to miss very much?

Thank you for your help

Vincent Keunen
keunen@nrb.be

PS: any comparison with other lisp environments would also be welcome.