copy-bits turns slow after use of color-picker?

I'm hacking on a simple package dealing with bitmaps and
pixmaps in MCL 2.0b1p3 and it works ok. Drawing a 32 x 32 x 8 pixmap
into a window using copy-bits takes about 2.5 ms on my Mac II. However, when
I use the color picker (call to user-pick-color) then suddenly drawing
becomes very slow (20-30 ms). Why is this happening, how can I prevent it?
It helps if I switch the monitor to 4 bit and back to 8 bit again. This is,
of course, not acceptable for a real user.

Could there be a problem with the color table translation? Maybe the color
picker does some strange side effects. I set the pmTable of my pixmaps to

(_GetCTable :word 8 :ptr)

is this wrong?

  Alex