Mailing list vs News Group

    Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1992 23:13 MEST
    From: Steve Strassmann <straz%cambridge.apple.com@fhg.de>

    >Date: Mon, 17 Aug 92 16:00:30 -0400
    >Sender: cartier@mipsmath.math.uqam.ca
    >To: info-mcl@cambridge.apple.com (Macintosh Common Lisp)
    >From: cartier@math.uqam.ca (Guillaume Cartier)
    >
    >A few weeks ago I got access to a usenet news reader
    >and tried out the comp.lang.lisp.mcl group. After reading
    >the news for a few weeks, I noticed that some messages
    >appearing on the news group never make it to the mailing
    >list. Did anyone else notice the same problem?

    This is correct - messages posted to comp.lang.lisp.mcl
    are not posted to the info-mcl mailing list (although
    info-mcl messages are posted to the newsgroup).

    I am not aware of any system which would permit doing this
    without creating the kinds of infinite loops (and duplicate
    messages) we saw just recently on this list. If you have
    a dependable solution in mind, feel free to let us know.

We don't have access to usenet right now, but I remember vaguely from
ancient days ;-( that newsgroups which are marked as "moderated" get all
responsable for feeding them back into usenet via some news agent like
inews or whatever. So if the moderator's task is just to combine usenet
could be automated without looping or duplicating messages - or I missed
something.

Stefan B.

Mail: Stefan Bernemann        ! Phone:  +49-231-9743-139
      c/o FhG IML Dortmund    ! Fax:    +49-231-9743-234
      Emil-Figge-Str. 75      ! Email:  berni@iml.fhg.de
      D-4600 Dortmund 50, FRG !