appleevents to and from HyperCard

I've just started peeking at the hooks to send and receive appleevents to and
from HyperCard and Lisp.  The code in the appleevent-toolkit.lisp file
says you can send the following code from the message window in HyperCard

request "(print (+ 1 2))" from program "MCL 2.0"

Unfortunately the the system seems to hang and not respond.  Any ideas
as to why?  Ideally what I'd like to do is send a command string from
HyperCard to LISP without having to create a bunch of and deal with
a bunch of appleevent code and coding.  I haven't been able to find
a good set of fairly simple documentation to do this.  Any help would
be extremely appreciated.  Thanks!

-dave