Re: How to convert from PICT to RGN for bounding region clicks

On 15 Mar 1994, MATTHEW CORNELL wrote:

> Dear Folks:
>
> We want to use arbitrary regions to identify portions of a picture for
> use as "hot spots" when the user clicks. We have a PICT but all that
> gives us is the bounding rectangle. What we need is a REGION that
> defines the PICT's outline. Is there a QuickDraw trap to do this? We
> tried opening a region, drawing the pict, then closing the region, but
> that failed because regions don't record picture drawing.

I have software that does this off line.  You have to fill the region with
black using a paint program.  Then use resedit to create a file
containing all of the picts.  Then this program creates regn resources for
all of the filled areas in the picts.

I didn't write it, so I don't know precisely how it works, but if you are
interested, email me at rees+@pitt.edu and I'll send you a stuffed
binhexed archive.

-- Ted