How to convert from PICT to RGN for bounding region clicks

Dear Folks:

We want to use arbitrary regions to identify portions of a picture for
use as "hot spots" when the user clicks. We have a PICT but all that
gives us is the bounding rectangle. What we need is a REGION that
defines the PICT's outline. Is there a QuickDraw trap to do this? We
tried opening a region, drawing the pict, then closing the region, but
that failed because regions don't record picture drawing.

matt