re: LISP Explorer on a MAC II info wanted

> Nick Walton writes:

>   My employers have an old MacII going spare for which they may accept my hard
> earned pennies. I don't know its detailed spec, save that its loaded with
> system 5, some form of HD and an 800K (ie not 1.44Mb) floppy AND a Lisp
> Explorer board with 16Mb RAM.
>   Does anyone know anything about the LISP board, I think it came from Texas
> International, will it work under system 7, is the memory on the board also
> available to general mac applications, what's performance like, is it CL etc.
> Finally, what might a decent price be?

We once owned several of the Texas Instruments MicroExplorer boards. The
product line was dropped by TI several years ago. They are probably worth
very little (i.e., next to nothing). I don't know if they will run under
system 7, but I would be surprised. A contact that might know the whole story
is Dennison Bollay at ExperTelligence. I believe his address is 203 Chapala
Street, Santa Barbara, CA, 93101. (805) 962-2558. Denny was very involved
in originally embedding the Explorer code into the Mac environment.

As for the value of the MacII, check the ads from the used Mac vendors in
something like MacWeek -- they'll at least provide a rough estimate of
current *selling* prices. You can probably buy for less.

Steve Laufmann