regions

In working on a molecular graphics application that demands animation, I
find myself wanting to do offscreen drawing with quick display of the
results. After hours of manual pondering and experimentation, I'm
mystified.

1) Is there a standard way to do this other than to use regions?

2) How does one get the open-region, (draw to window), close-region
sequence to actually result in something? My destination regions are
unchanged, and paint no black pixels when filled or inverted.

 - Eric Drexler

P.S. According to the documentation, bitmaps can be created and copied. I
trust that some input and output operations are also supported, but what
are they?