Re: Peridic tasks in MCL 2.0.1

In article <poeck-1201951033170001@wi6a65.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de>,
poeck@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de (Karsten Poeck) wrote:

|For some applications we need to execute a task peridically in background.
|e.g. listening for an incomming tcp-connection.
|
|Up to now we used an undocumented mcl internal
|(CCL::%INSTALL-PERIODIC-TASK), but that might not be the best idea.
|
|Using the documented ccl:*eventhook* I can get a similar functionality,
|code is included in the appendix, but I wonder if there is a better, safer
|or cleaner way to do this

An alternative that *MAY* be more appropriate in *SOME* situations is to
install a VBL task.  These tasks are executed every clock tick.  See
Inside Mac or equivalent under Vertical Retrace Manager or VInstall.

We're talking low-level grungy things here, but listening to a
tcp-connection seems pretty low-level and grungy to me.

[Disclaimer:  I ain't never done this, I just seen it done. :-)]

--
--