Using the compiler internally in distributed applications

Short question:  Is there any way for code to maintain access to the
   lisp compiler after saving an application with (:excise-compiler t)?

Longer version:

We are facing a bit of a dilemma.  Our knowledge representation language
is being used by another group here who would like to create a demo of
their product and make it publicly available.  That would entail doing a
save-application with the :excise-compiler option set to T.

Unfortunately, our KR language makes use of the compiler internally to
implement a lazy compilation strategy for computing query answers.  In
other words, when we see certain types of queries, we like to construct
an efficient lisp function to compute the answer, compile it for speed
and then save the compiled function for reuse.  Unfortunately, this
breaks when the compiler is excised.

Is there any way to set things up so that the compiler is properly
excised (so that a lisp development environment is not distributed), but
retain our own internal access to the compiler to call on
application-generated code?

--
Thomas A. Russ,  USC/Information Sciences Institute          tar@isi.edu