Answer: Deliver Quicktime with MCL app?

In article <poeck-2703951721450001@wi6a65.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de>, I wrote:

> We are about to deliver our MCL based application for free to about 20-30
> people. Our app used some pictures that are obviously compressed with
> quicktime.

Apple Software licensing answered my question in real time.

One has to sign a license to distribute quicktime, but that license is for free.

While I am at it, did anybody tried to use Quicktime for Windows in
ACL/WINDOWS 2.0 (David/ILS or Proactive Solutions?).

The app we shall deliver runs with sort of identical source code in Mcl2.0
and ACL/WINDOWS 2.0, but we had to use bmp files and
copy-pixels-to-stream-from-file instead of quicktime/pict files and
draw-picture.

In the long run it we will also need the capability to play quicktime
movies in ACL/WINDOWS.

Concerning the recent discussions about the tree-shaker and acl/windows
and mcl 2.0 comparisons. The size of our mcl image is 4.2 meg without
tree-shaker, the acl/windows image is about 6 meg using the tree-shaker,
although it probably does not contain all the code of the mcl version.
Both programms seems to require about 10Mb Ram.

I sort of suspect that the compiled code of MCL is more compact than that
of acl/windows and perhaps the representation of clos-instances is also
more space efficient.

Unfortunately about 300 people ordered our application for Windows and
only about 20 for Macintosh.

 Karsten