Crash in GC during save-application

Has anyone encountered -- and hopefully resolved -- a problem with a crash
occuring in the GC that takes place in save-application?

We build big applications (30-40Mb application sizes typically running in 65-
110Mb image sizes on Quadra 650s, 800s and 840s, under System 7.5 and 7.5.1).
We generally use lots of RAM and run without virtual memory.  We have recently
run into the nagging crash problem described above.  After the Listener has been
closed and during the final GC, the Mac just freezes up and must be restarted,
even if MacsBug is turned on.  All state is lost, so we have no way to get
additional information about what happened.  Zapping the PRAM seems to have some
preventive value, but not always.  There does seem to be some sensitivity to
image size.  For example, we'll occasionally be able to save from a 65Mb image,
but not from a 110Mb image -- with both built using the same script, software,
and data.

Any ideas?

Byron Davies
Motorola Semiconductor