Re: MCL 3.0 on 68020

At 1:21 AM 5/29/95, George Hambleton wrote:
>So,......with all the concern about the compatibility of MCL 3.0 with the
>new machines and Sys 7.5 we put lots of pressure on to stay competitive. My
>question is, do I gain a justifiable payback for the Champion price given
>that I'm using a Mac II/68020 ? I want to use CL for whatever I do, but will
>I have any problems or will I not gain anything beyond what I get with
>2.0.1. I don't do anything as sophisticated as what I read in the mail.
>Thanks for the help!!
>George Hamblbleton

MCL 3.0 has a slew of enhancements to the MCL Tools menu and to Fred that
are worthy of note and that you would benefit from as a user on 68020 Macs.

All the Tools menu items (Apropos, Documentation, Inspect, Search Files,
Fred Commands, etc.) have a more powerful interface and are better
integrated with each other.  Apropos for example allows you to limit
requests to particular types of objects in particular packages and to use
boolean operators to further limit requests.

Fred has multiple panes providing different views of the same buffer,
colored fonts, variable line heights, justification, and word wrap.  Given
these enhancements and the fact that Fred was rewritten to remove its use
of 68K assembly (an important preparatory step for MCL later blazing on the
Power Macintosh), you will experience Fred as somewhat slower in 3.0.  Not
so for other aspects of MCL, which in other tests are slightly faster in
3.0 than 2.0.1.

In addition, though you may not directly use some of the new features such
as multiple processes, many of the tools you would use benefit from them.
For example, you can continue working while, say, multiple files are being
searched for a particular string.

And finally, MCL 2.0.1 will not be further maintained with the release of
version 3.0, though of course techical questions will continue to be
answered.  All future patches and bug fixes will be for MCL 3.0.

Thank you for your continued support of MCL.

Hazem Sayed

Digitool, Inc.
                       One Main Street   7th Floor   Cambridge, MA 02142   USA
                           Internet: hsayed@digitool.com   AppleLink: digitool
                                      World Wide Web: http://www.digitool.com/
                                         Tel: 617 441-5000   Fax: 617 576-7680