Playing linear or Ulaw encoded sound under MCL

 >Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp.mcl
 >From: mkant+@cs.cmu.edu (Mark Kantrowitz)
 >Subject: Playing linear or Ulaw encoded sound under MCL
 >Date: Thu, 6 May 1993 21:15:25 GMT
 >

 >A while ago I asked about playing sound files under MCL, and somebody
 >sent me code for playing SND resources. This is close, but not exactly
 >what I need. I have a program which can generate sound waveforms in
 >either linear (16/12 bit) or ulaw (8 bit) encoding. I'd like to play
 >these sounds directly, without having to create a SND resource as an
 >intermediate step.

I don't know of any other software that plays non-mac sound format
without a conversion step first. I can't even imagine how they could.

There's quite a few programs at sumex-aim.stanford.edu:/info-mac/sound/
which read and write various sound formats, including ulaw, aiff, etc.
Maybe source code for some of those are available to inspire you...