characters

At the request of someone, I will summarize what I said to Michaels
about characters in a couple of recent message.

1.  #\^E gets a control-e (character with code 5) into KCL.  Either
interpretation of what I typed seems to work, i.e. either a real
control-E, or ^ followed by E.

2.  I do not believe that there is anything wrong with KCL in this
department.  The example cited on p. 354 suggests that one might use
#\Control-...  to handle non-zero bits.  In KCL, #\^A has a 0 bit
field.  KCL does not handle the char-control-bit, as can be determined
by inspecting the value of that very variable.  I believe that this is
an area in which correct Common Lisp implementations can diverge.
(The moral, I guess, is that you shouldn't use control chars if you
want really portable Common Lisp programs.)

3.  If KCL or AKCL were found (by suitable authorities) to be in
violation of Steele's Common Lisp the Language (CLTL), in this
department or any other, I suspect that Yuasa or Schelter would fix
the problem forthwith.  Sending complaints about alleged noncompliance
with CLTL to this mailing list is a good thing to do, since the
message will reach Yuasa, Schelter, and a fair number of Lisp users.

Let me add that I in NO WAY represent myself as a Common Lisp or KCL
authority.  I invite correction.  I was just responding to Michaels as
a friendly user.