Re: Compilation in Standard LISP

Interlisp currently has the ability for users to define "macros" that
call internal parts of the compiler directly.  This has turned out to
be a TERRIBLE idea -- it depends on all kinds of fragile, wizardly
knowledge about the compilation environment, and its value is just
about nil now that the compiler does a few more things built-in.  If I
had my druthers I'd take this "feature" out and replace it with
Maclisp/LMLisp-style source transformation.