[no subject]

      If so, that sounds desirable, though I'm not
    sure that tail-recursion is the biggest problem with efficiently
    implementing Common Lisp function call in C.

The idea is that you can then compile Lisp function calls into
C function calls, which could make the compiler much simpler.

We could add a multiple value feature as well, but we would
need to design the calling sequence.

    Another major problem with compilation to C is garbage collection.  Without
    a lot of compiler hooks, you are pretty much forced to use a conservative
    garbage collector.

Other people report good results with this technique.
Why should the complexity of CL increase the likelihood that
a fixnum will be the address of Lisp data?