Brown Bag 4/3 ..NOTE ROOM Change

    NOTE:  Room was changed to 4623 Wean (was 4601) for 4/3 only.

                          Human Computer Interaction
                            Brown BAG Presentation

                       Friday, April 3, 1992 - Wean 4623

                                  12:00 NOON

                            Speaker:  Sara Kiesler,

                   Dept. of Social & Decision Sciences, CMU

                          "TRUTH, LIES, AND FLAMING"

                                   Abstract

              Controlled experiments and surveys in organizations
              show that uninhibited  behavior  is  more  frequent
              when  people use email (and the like) than when the
              same  people  use  other  ways  of   communicating,
              including  paper.    When people are less inhibited
              than  usual,  they  are  more  likely  to  disclose
              personal  facts about themselves and less likely to
              care what others  think.    At  CMU  we  have  been
              studying  why  computer  communications  have  this
              apparent effect: is  it  the  kinds  of  people  on
              networks?   is it something about the written word?
              is it something about computer interfaces?  Come to
              this   talk   and  hear  the  evidence  versus  the
              speculation.  Also I would like to get  your  ideas
              on some new work we are doing.