How can I rename files in LMFS just to change the alphabetic case?

    Date: Tue, 1 Dec 87 06:35 EST
    From: Jeffrey Mark Siskind <Qobi@zermatt.lcs.mit.edu>

    There seems to be some very annoying behavior in LMFS regarding alphabetic
    case in files names.

 From page 102 of "Streams, Files, and I/O" (book 5 of the Encyclopedia
Symbolicorum): "Due to problems with interning of pathnames it is
sometimes difficult to control the casing of a LMFS pathname, and it is
almost always impossible to change it once established."

Pathnames are interned both on the local machine and on the file server.
Interning is necessary to implement pathname equality checking and to
allow properties to be associated with pathnames.  I doubt your problem
will ever be fixed.

                                                barmar