Automatic Mode Lines

    Date: Wed, 2 Dec 87 10:22 EST
    From: Scott McKay <SWM@SAPSUCKER.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>

    Date: Tue, 1 Dec 87 10:47 EST
    From: J. Scott Penberthy  <JSP@IBM.COM>

       Does anyone have a hack that automatically inserts a mode line in a newly
       created LISP mode buffer?  If not, is there an undocumented feature of
       ZMACS that does the same?

       Thanks,
       Scott

    m-X Update Attribute List?

No -- I'm more interested in an 1automatic0 method for writing the
attribute list whenever a new, LISP-mode buffer is created.  The "Update
Attribute List" command just uses the current defaults for the mode
line.  However, I want to use a different mode line (or set of lines),
something like

;;; -*- Mode: LISP; Syntax: Common-Lisp; Package: USER; Base 10; VSP: 0 -*-
;;;
;;;     <License info>

I don't think that the Update Attribute List command will automatically
insert the VSP option; it certainly won't generate a multi-line header.
I'd also like this header to be generated automatically whenever I
create a new buffer; the less keystrokes, the better.

Is there something like a "newly-generated-file-buffer-hook"?  Such a hook
could solve this problem.

Cheers,
Scott