a problem with print-functions

    Date: Fri, 27 May 88 11:25:33 EDT
    From:     bds@mitre-bedford.ARPA
[...]
    Now for the problem: I use forward and backpointers a lot.  During
    development I spent as much time in the inspector as I did in the
    editor.  With flavors this was no problem, since flavors print
    as "unprintable "structures.  Pointers from one flavor to another
    were no problem, and all I had to do is mouse on the slot to
    expand it.  Defstructs are another matter--they want to print
    out every slot.  This can be partially solved by using print-functions,
    of course, but  since most of the structures have between 6 and 12
    slots (some of which are lists of other structures),
    the printouts become long and unwieldy, and the individual
    slots are not mouseable in the  inspector.
[...]
    Is there a solution to this problem, or do I have to give up one
    of the best tools the Symbolics machine has to offer, ie, the inspector?
    Working with multiple debugging flags and embedded print statements
    seems a horribly wasteful solution, although I seem to be reduced
    to it.

(si:setq-standard-value scl:*print-structure-contents* nil)