Re: a problem with print-functions

    Date: Sun, 29 May 88 19:08 CDT
    From:     Gumby@MCC.COM (David Vinayak Wallace)

        Date: Fri, 27 May 88 14:37 EDT
        From:     Stever@IVORY.S4CC.Symbolics.COM (Stephen Robbins)

            Date: Fri, 27 May 88 11:25:33 EDT
            From:     bds@mitre-bedford.ARPA

        (defstruct (foo (:print-function print-random-object))
          ...)

        (defun print-random-object (object stream depth)
          (declare (ignore depth))
          (format stream "#<~S structure ~S>"
                (type-of object)
                #+3600 (sys:%pointer object)
                #-3600 'address-unavailable))

    Here's a useful idea if you do ever intend to port your code.  Sometimes
    it's hard to tell structures apart, even if they have names, since you
    might keep "dead" ones around for debugging purposes.  So I include the
    following structure in my portable code.  Then I can use %pointer in all
    my print-functions.

I thought that I'd mention another use that I have found for including
"serial numbers" in structures and flavor objects, along the lines of what
Gumby had suggested. If you want to store either structures or flavor objects
in a hash table that is indFrom WARBUCKS.AI.SRI.COM!slug-admin Tue May 31 02:10:03 1988