Re: Zmail question - setting "From:" addresses.

    Date: Fri, 3 Jun 88 14:42:01 EDT
    From: pc@ctt.bellcore.com (Peter Clitherow)

    I am trying to customise my Zmail environment, now that i'm
    converting from UNIX mail...I would like to have the From address
    which Zmail inserts in my outgoing mail to be different than the
    place i actually read my mail (The LISPM) - mainly to help those
    sites that are not running domain resolvers reach me...

    My LISPM is called ALEX (address:  alex.ctt.bellcore.com) and
    the host object has the MAIL-TO-USER service over TCP and CHAOS.

    So my domain is ctt.bellcore.com, whose domain resolution machine
    is a SUN called CTT (ctt.ctt.bellcore.com).

    Now, if on my user object in the namespace, i put a mail address of
    pc ALEX,  then my outgoing address becomes pc@ALEX.ctt.bellcore.com
    which is not what i want.  (Also, even though i have the MAIL-TO-USER
    service, i seem to be unsuccessful in having mail actually delivered
    to the host i use.  Do i have to have STORE-AND-FORWARD also for that
    LISPM?  It's already on the LISPM which is our central name/mail/print
    server).

MAIL-TO-USER and STORE-AND-FORWARD-MAIL should only be on hosts that are
running mailers. (You may also want EXPAND-MAIL-RECIPIENT).

    If i put the address as pc CTT, then incoming mail will be redirected
    to the CTT machine, and while i suppose i could probably put a
    forwarding alias there to redirect it back to my LISPM, i feel there
    should be a better way.  I need a way of overriding the From address.

You want pc CTT. You want a forwarding alias so mail that others send to
your address on CTT will end up on your lispm. Mail to your address on the
lispm will not go to CTT, because the mailer only looks at the
mailboxes.text file, NOT the namespace.

I also bash the headers in outgoing mail:

(DEFTEMPLATE USER-TRANSMIT-TEMPLATE
  (:TYPE :TRANSMIT)
  ;;define all this stuff in the namespace.
  (:IF (SEND SI:*USER* :USER-GET :SIGNATURE) (:TEXT (SEND SI:*USER* :USER-GET :SIGNATURE)))
  (:IF (SEND SI:*USER* :USER-GET :RETURN-ADDRESS) (:HEADER-FIELD :SENDER (SEND SI:*USER* :USER-GET :RETURN-ADDRESS)))
  (:IF (SEND SI:*USER* :USER-GET :RETURN-ADDRESS) (:HEADER-FIELD :REPLY-TO (SEND SI:*USER* :USER-GET :RETURN-ADDRESS)))
  (:HEADER-FIELD :ORGANIZATION (SI:GET-SITE-OPTION :PRETTY-NAME))
  (:IF (SEND SI:*USER* :WORK-ADDRESS) (:HEADER-FIELD :POSTAL-ADDRESS (SEND SI:*USER* :WORK-ADDRESS)))
  (:IF (SEND SI:*USER* :WORK-PHONE) (:HEADER-FIELD :PHONE (SEND SI:*USER* :WORK-PHONE)))
;  (:HEADER-FIELD :MOON (MOON:PRINT-MOON :STREAM NIL))
  )

    Any ideas (short of totally hacking the mailer software)?
    pc
    --
----
Brad Miller		U. Rochester Comp Sci Dept.