The Lexical Emperor Has No Close

Hello,
	Perhaps it's only me, but the fixes that people have suggested for
the lexical-scoping question are (partially) wrong.  The general suggestion
has been to wrap the generation of the lambda function in a let, binding a
copy-list of the &rest args.
	But here's my question/correction/confusion:  That let-bound variable
ISN'T closed over (or whatever the right term is), or anyway kept, in the
lambda definition!  It's a free variable!  THE GIVEN SOLUTIONS DON'T WORK!
I tried various variants of the solution, finally going over to making it
a macro, but it wound up being very ugly.
	Anyone want to give us the beautiful version?
	thanks,
	chris sterritt
	sterritt%sdevax.decnet@ge-crd.arpa