DECNET annoyances

We've been adding several VAX's on campus to the Symbolics namespace,
and I've run into the following problem: some of the DECNET nodes, while
attempting to handle a file transfer initiated on the Symbolics, choke
on a DAP 17 request. This occurs after the open is properly acknowled-
ged, so I know the connection is alive in general. This only occurs
when accessing files on some nodes; others handle the file service
just fine. Login service to all machines (via CTERM) seems to work Ok.
Any ideas? Can it be that the privileges on the related VAX accounts
need to be adjusted?