Symbolics - VAX/VMS e-mail

Date: Fri, 9 Sep 88 08:53 EDT
From: Len Moskowitz <Len@HEART-OF-GOLD>
Subject: Symbolics - VAX/VMS e-mail
To: "3077::IN%\"rsk@samson.cadr.dialnet.symbolics.COM\""@TSD1, "3077::IN%\"slug@Warbucks.AI.SRI.COM\""@TSD1

Robert S. Kirk writes:

 > I would like to be able to get e-mail back and forth between the two
 > sets of machines.  Does anyone out there know how to go about setting
 > this sort of thing up?

Our Symbolics are on the same physical network as our VAXen.  The
Symbolics run Chaos between themselves and DNA between them and the
VAXen.  Mail runs smoothly between all of them.  We had some problems
long ago, but they were inevitably in the VAX network definition side.

If you are running DNA, then you should have created host namespace
objects in the Symbolics namespace for each of the VAXen that you mail
to.  Each host should have at least the following services associated
with it: MAIL-TO-USER DNA DNA-MAIL, LOGIN DNA CTERM, LOOPBACK DNA
DNA-LOOPBACK-MIRROR, and FILE DNA DAP.  On the VAX side, you need to
have the DNA server routines provided with the DNA product installed in
the correct VAX directories per the DNA installation instructions, and
the Symbolics machine known to the network database.  In your fep boot
file, you need to assign an ethernet address to each Symbolics, and the
address has to be the same one that the VAXen expect.

One of the machines in our VAX cluster is called TSD1.  So we have a
host in our Symbolics namespace that's called TSD1 with all the services
noted above.  When I send mail to a user on it, the address looks like
this: Plony@TSD1.  The VAXen know my Symbolics machine as AIP1.  When
they want to send mail to me, they send to AIP1::Len.

By the way, while DNA is supposed to support FILE, MAIL-TO-USER, LOGIN,
LOOPBACK, TAPE, SHOW-USERS, TIME, and UPTIME services, only the first
four actually work.  'Twould be nice if we could use the TAPE service.

If you need more detail, drop me a line.

Len Moskowitz
                                                   Allied-Signal Aerospace
moskowitz@bendix.com (CSnet)                       Test Systems Division
moskowitz%bendix.com@relay.cs.net (ARPAnet)        Mail code 4/8
arpa!relay.cs.net!bendix.com!moskowitz (uucp)      Teterboro, NJ 07608