A question

    Date: Fri, 24 Mar 89 06:57:54 PST
    From: xvyf%bpcvax%crcvax%nssdca.span@io.arc.nasa.gov

A good question, one I had at the satrt of Rel 7 too.

    Despite admonitions from people at Symbolics, I still like (sometimes) to

What do you mean? Customer-reports? Why the admonishment --- seems
pretty reasonable to me

    debug my program by stepping through it. Previously in Release 6 (or 5),
    I was able to step through functions and the stepper would only display
    the current lisp form that I am looking at. However, the stepper facility
    in the trace function has been modified in Genera 7 so that it prints out
    all lisp forms which are at same or below the current evaluation level.
    This is VERY slow and makes stepper almost useless except for small functions.
    Symbolics software support suggests that I use 'break' command, but that
    means I must know where the problems is and there is no way to evaluate
    lisp forms at a level below the breakpoint. Furthermore, putting and
    removing breakpoints is time consuming. It is tantamount to putting print
    statements in Fortran (well, a little better). Most of debuggers (of other
    languages) have the stepper facility much like the one available in Release 6.
    My question is: is there an option that you can set to change the stepper
    to a less verbose mode (more precisely, to the pre-Genera look).
    Thanks for your help.

Try (setq *print-pretty* nil). This certainly works from the debugger,
once you have started the trace. It gives the old style of single-line
tracing, which I think is what you want. You may also want to set it
outside of the debug step (i.e., globally) so it is true in your world.
Sometimes I have to reset it, which I dont understand it.

    Chien Huang (xyvf%bpcvax%crcvax%nssdca@io.arc.nasa.gov)