Symbolics backup to UNIX host

       Date: Thu, 25 May 89 22:48 EDT
       From: pan@athena.pangaro.dialnet.symbolics.com (Paul Pangaro)

       Anybody have or thought of a hack that would automatically backup files
       from one system (i.e., lispm with disk) to another? I would still make
       occasional tapes, but why not do it disk to disk more frequently than
       that?  Hints or ideas where to look for patching something (Dump Tape?)
       also welcome.

This brings up something similar (but not identical) that I want to do.

I just got in an Exabyte for my Sun fileserver.  For those of you that
don't know, this is a tape unit that uses 8mm videocassettes, each one
having a 2200 megabyte storage capacity (as opposed to the 60 MB storage
capacity that my standard cartridge tapes currently have, or the equivalent
of 37 DC600A cartridge tapes).

What I want to be able to do is to do a complete backup of my network of
symbolics machines onto a single tape of this.   Ideally, the options I see
(I don't know which of these are really doable) are:

My most preferred option is where I could run a program on my sun that
individually goes to each symbolics in order and copies its filesystem onto
the tape (this may be using an eval server to ask the symbolics to send
it's disk contents over the net).

Slightly less preferred is where the sun gets each symbolics LMFS and
stores it onto disk, and then backs up its disk like normal.

Much less preferred is where I have to go around one by one to each machine
and ask it to back it's stuff up onto the sun.  This might either be
directly to tape, or to the sun's disk first as mentioned above.

Anyone have any ideas on how to do these?  I'm willing to look into writing
an rtape server for the sun, or software that can grab an entire file
system from a symbolics, or software on the symbolics that can interface
with a sun's rdump protocol, or ..., etc., but I'd rather not reinvent the
wheel unless it's absolutely necessary.

Bruce