What's NewSpeak for TV:MULTIPLE-MENU-CHOOSE?

Date: Thu, 30 Nov 89 23:54 PST
From: Robert D. Pfeiffer <RDP@ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM>
Subject: What's NewSpeak for TV:MULTIPLE-MENU-CHOOSE?
To: SLUG@ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM

    Date: Thu, 30 Nov 89 18:18 EST
    From: barmar@Think.COM (Barry Margolin)

	Date: Thu, 30 Nov 89 13:11 PST
	From: Robert D. Pfeiffer <RDP@ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM>

	It's not at all clear to me how to use modern presentation-based
	functionality to achieve the effect of the old TV:MULTIPLE-MENU-CHOOSE.
	For example, I want users to get a pop-up menu of the elements of a
	set (sequence) of which they can choose more than one.  This behavior
	should occur by accepting a presentation of a particular type (for
	example, GENERAL-SUBSET).

	Ideas anyone?

	Is this srea (i.e., old menu styles) simply a big hole in the new UI
	system?

    If the elements of the set are all symbols, then the SUBSET presentation
    type does what you want.

Unfortunately, they're not.  I need more of a cross between SUBSET and
DW:MEMBER-SEQUENCE (that is, let me choose more than one, allow any type
of object, and let me specify a list rather than discrete elements).  On
top of that, it needs to be somewhat smart about the menu geometry (for
example, is there were 100 items, a 10x10 array is much better than a
single line of 100).