Re: Manuals: seconded again..

    Date: Tue, 6 Mar 90 09:44 EST
    From: pan@Athena.Pangaro.Dialnet.Symbolics.Com (Paul Pangaro)

	Date: Tue, 6 Mar 90 10:46:06+0900
	From: kddlab!atr-la.atr.co.jp!myers@uunet.UU.NET (John K. Myers)

	The idea of having each customer site fill out a form to request the
	number of desired manuals is a good one.  Please do this.

    Absolutely concur with policy to 1lower 0the number, rather than
    default to 1 for 5. I have 2 machines under software maintenance
    in two different places; I don't know, how many do I get? I
    certainly need 2, since (as others have said similarly) (1) printing from
    the doc examiner is 2post hoc0 from my needs; (2) scanning paper is
    far more pleasant for many things; etc.

    Other opinions from users?

I agree that one/machine is more than we (an academic institution!) really
need. Mainly because many of the machines are in a common area. But I think
the 1 + 1/5 is too little too. I suspect the algorithm is ad hoc, so perhaps
some tuning? e.g. generalize to 1/machine for machines upto n, 1/m machines
thereafter (rounded down). Setting n and m can be done in consultation with
the users.  For *us*, n=3 m=4 would be optimal.