Request for a unix shellscript and lispm server to start up remote X screens?

    Date: Wed, 13 Jun 90 12:15 EDT
    From: cjl@ai.mit.edu (Chris Lindblad)

	Date: Mon, 11 Jun 90 23:32 PDT
	From: shirley@parc.xerox.com (Mark Shirley)

	We're beginning to use release 8 via X remote screen.  (Right now, I'm logged
	in to my lispm from home via an NCD X terminal, a modem and a sun, and it
	works pretty well.  Thank you to all who worked on symbolics X.)

	Has anyone written a unix command to ship the contents of the DISPLAY shell
	variable over to a lispm and have it do a Start X Screen back to the
	appropriate display?  I've been doing this by telnet'ing to the machine,
	typing :start X screen and killing the connection, but it should be
	straightforward to write a server on the lispm side and a shellscript or
	something on the unix side.

    There already is a Symbolics RPC procedure that does exactly this.  You can
    use the "genera" UNIX program to make the RPC request.  You can use it to
    start a secondary screen by running it on 1any0 sun give it as an argument the
    name of 1any0 lispm you want to start the secondary screen on.  I also believe
    in release 8 the "genera" unix program pays attention to the DISPLAY
    environment variable.

However, the "genera" program is only supplied if you get a UX400S.

What do you supply as the "device" argument when the Lispm isn't a local
UX400S?  Or is this argument ignored in this case (the documentation
only says that there is no default in this case).

By the way, at this very moment I have an X remote screen from one Lispm
displaying inside the X server of my Lispm.  There are a few glitches,
but it basically works!

                                                barmar