Re: mail slug@warbucks.ai.sri.comIvory MacInTalk

    Date: Fri, 13 Jul 90 18:39:46+0900
    From: kddlab!atr-la.atr.co.jp!myers@uunet.UU.NET (John K. Myers)

    Help!  I am trying to get MacIntalk to work on the MacIvory.
    I have versions dated Jan '83 (28,312 bytes), Jan '84 and
    Apr 14 '88 (both 28,552 bytes).  I have Talktools 1.0 (Sept '87)
    and Speechlab ('85).  No sound comes out.  I have the sound set
    high on the Control-panel, and I have moved the MacIntalk
    icon to the system folder.  Nothing seems to work.  Is it
    supported?

Apple commissioned the creation of Macintalk only to have the mac introduce
itself back in 84 <can you say "media event"?>. They never got the source
code to it, they don't support it, they don't want to know about it, they
don't give a flying ****. There's even a tech note from Apple about it,
though I don't remember the number offhand. It is guarenteed not to work on
some hardware, and in future releases of the os. Possibly including system
6. So bascially, I'd stop bothering if I were you, and start from scratch if
you really need this functionality.

----
 Brad Miller		U. Rochester Comp Sci Dept.
 miller@cs.rochester.edu {...allegra!rochester!miller}