8.0 REXEC

In 8.0 when doing REXEC calls to our Ultrix Vax, we discovered
that FTP connections are apparently being used in some manner
(for what specifically, I don't know).  7.2 & 7.4 don't show this
behavior.  We're using the same source code for REXEC for 7.2,
7.4 & 8.0.  So, what changed about how REXEC does what it does?

The reason this is important is because we get charged $$$ for
ftp and login connect time on our Ultrix Vax, but not for REXEC.
If ftp connections are used, that kind of eliminates a loophole,
er uh, feature we've been exploiting.