8.0 REXEC

    Date: Wed, 18 Jul 90 10:11 PDT
    From: snicoud@atc.boeing.com (Stephen L. Nicoud)

    In 8.0 when doing REXEC calls to our Ultrix Vax, we discovered
    that FTP connections are apparently being used in some manner
    (for what specifically, I don't know).  7.2 & 7.4 don't show this
    behavior.  We're using the same source code for REXEC for 7.2,
    7.4 & 8.0.  So, what changed about how REXEC does what it does?

The same as in 7.2?  Genera 7.2 didn't have an REXEC client (maybe you
were using ours?).

    The reason this is important is because we get charged $$$ for
    ftp and login connect time on our Ultrix Vax, but not for REXEC.
    If ftp connections are used, that kind of eliminates a loophole,
    er uh, feature we've been exploiting.

TMC's REXEC client definitely doesn't use FTP.  Symbolics's REXEC client
uses some generic file system internal routines to prompt for the user
name and password, but I don't think it should ever need to create an
actual connection.

                                                barmar