Flocks

    Date: Wed, 22 Aug 90 18:37:12 -0700
    From: news@ads.com

    Newsgroups: mail.info-slug
    From: devooght@ADS.COM (Lawrence De Vooght)
    Subject: birds
    Sender: usenet@ads.com (USENET News)
    Date: Thu, 23 Aug 90 01:37:05 GMT

      Some years ago I saw a Symbolics demo of a flock of birds flying
    around obstacles (columns) without breaking their formation. If anyone
    has this demo I would appreciate a copy.

		    Thanks in advance,
				    devooght

    devooght@ads.com

That would be "Breaking the Ice," starring Stanley (the bird) and Stella (the fish).
The effect is called behavior modeling, and is  based on Craig Reynold's models of
flocks and schools.  As you might have guessed, the movements are programatically
generated.  I will send you a tape and fax you an article.

David Sobeck
sobeck@symbolics.com
Symbolics Mountain View