Namespace extermination

    Date: Mon, 10 Sep 90  10:19:34 EDT
    From: delaney@xn.ll.mit.edu (John R. Delaney)

    For obscure reasons, the previous maintainer of our Symbolics machines
    created two namespaces, call them M and I. For equally obscure reason, I
    want to get rid of namespace I.

    I have deleted all I's entries after removing all the links between it and
    namespace M, which mostly consisted of aliasing one particular namespace M
    host as a namespace I host.  Call these host names HOST-M and HOST-I (which
    stood for the same 3600). If I edit HOST-M in namespace M, I get no
    indication of linkage. If I try to edit HOST-I in namepace I (or M), I am
    told it does not exist.  But when doing an Add Services to Hosts command
    which mentions HOST-M an exception occurs complaining that it cannot find
    namespace I. So some shadow of the old linkage persists.

    I have also left the empty "I-*" files in the "Namespace" directory for
    fear of causing some hand-up if I just delete them.

    What should I do to eliminate all trace of namespace I?

    Thanks in advance for any and all help,

    John

I'm no expert in this stuff but, having seen no other response, the one
piece of advice I would offer is that you may need to rebuild all of the
worlds at your site in order to accomplish this purge.