Can I use a Laserwriter with Symbolics system?...

    Date: Fri, 14 Dec 90 23:31 EST
    From: barmar@Think.COM (Barry Margolin)

	Date: Fri, 14 Dec 90 17:12:12 EST
	From: cdwilli@algol.cs.umbc.edu (Chris Willianson (Guest of Al))

	My office just picked up an Apple Laserwriter.  I know Symbolics sells
	programs to use these printers, but while programming my 3640 I've
	seen lots of references to PostScript in the sytem software.  Can I
	use the printer right now, or should I lobby the office manager for
	printer software?

    The standard system knows how to generate Postscript.  However, there
    are two layered products needed to use a Postscript printer.  First,
    there is the LGP3 product; this contains a data file that describes the
    fonts available on the LGP3 printer (Symbolics's name for the
    LaserWriter and compatibles).

Right, you need this.

				  Second, if you want to connect the
    printer directly to a Lisp Machine, you must get the Print Spooler
    software; if you connect the printer to a BSD Unix system (e.g. a Sun or
    Ultrix system), you can load the LPD client software which was included
    with Genera 8.0.

						    barmar

Is the PRINT system now layered? or are you refering to something
`more' or `better'?   Its not on my system right now, but I *thought*
that was because I marked it off the restore to save space cause we
weren't going to use it...

Used to be that PRINT was there, but not loaded by default.  There's a
short ritual to setting it up, besides the `load system PRINT', its all
in Site Operations.

bruce
miller@cam.nist.gov