redefining arg list of clos method

While developing some clos code I have encountered the
problem that if I
(defmethod foo ((x class)) ...
and then later decide I really want
(defmethod foo ((x class) &optional (more t)) ....
the compiler complains that this does not conform
to the arg list for foo, and none of the proceed optioins
allows the arg list to be redefined. ( This should
be reasonable if the method is only defined for a
single class). The way I currently get around this is
with a defgeneric foo (x more), proceed with the
redefinition, then recompile my method.

Is there a better way around this (short of writing
the arg list correcty the first time :-)
Thanks
strip