Three Dialnet Questions

    Date: Mon, 6 May 1991 14:45 EDT
    From: paul@aegean-sea.dialnet.symbolics.com (Paul Cross)

    1) Is anyone sucessfully using a Hayes-compatible modem for Dialnet?
I have a customer that uses a real Hayes modem for dialnet all the time.

    2) Has anyone updated a file called macterm.lisp, which, combined with a
    file called password.lisp, allows you to login to Symbolics machines
    over the phone?  I think these files were originally authored by Mark
    Tait.  macterm.lisp defines

    uss:(defmethod (input-top-level nbs-console-async-interface) ()

    but the package uss does not exist in 8.0.
Yes, the implementation of serial changed completely.  I'm not familiar
with the files you refer to (and would appreciate a pointer to them if
they are available at SCRC). However, you can login via async serial to
Symbolics machines (and use the same facilities available if you
telnet to them) without any extra files.  This doesn't give you complete
access, i.e. you can't run Zmacs, but it is better than nothing.

    3) Does anyone have a fix so that people who use dialnet get proper
    e-mail return addresses without adding a reply-to field?  I have not yet
    reported it to Symbolics, and it may be fixed in ECOs beyond 8.0.  Note
    how my return address drops the host field.  My return address ought to
    read paul@persephone.aegean-sea.dialnet.symbolics.com but is
    paul@aegean-sea.dialnet.symbolics.com instead.
My customer who uses a Hayes modem doesn't appear to have this problem (but he
is also not using multiple levels of domain name under dialnet).  Are
you using internet locally or just for dialnet?  You might want to check that
the internet-domain-name host (or namespace) attribute specifies the full
name.

    Thanks for any help you can offer.