machine doesn't know it has a tape drive

    Date: Tue, 28 May 1991 11:13 PDT
    From: mwilliam@hawk.ulowell.edu (Marian Williams)

    Hello.

    We just received a 3675 as a donation from a local company.  When we
    try to read a tape (for instance during a Restore Distribution) we
    get a message that says:

	"There is no magnetic tape hardware on HOST"

    But there *is*.  And it's registered as a service in the host's
    namespace object.  Anybody have a clue what the message means?

It means that it can't find the magnetic tape hardware even though it
may exist.  That could be caused by any number of things, most commonly:

The tape drive is not connected to the bus.  (e.g. the ribbon connectors
may be loose)
The tape drive is not powered on.

    Thank you --

    Marian Williams
    williams@ulowell.edu        (no 'm' after williams)
    williamsm@raven.ulowell.edu (this one has an 'm' after williams)

    [I posted this message last week, but it seems to have been lost.
    Apologies to anybody who gets it twice.]