machine doesn't know it has a tape drive

Hello.

We just received a 3675 as a donation from a local company.  When we
try to read a tape (for instance during a Restore Distribution) we
get a message that says:

    "There is no magnetic tape hardware on HOST"

But there *is*.  And it's registered as a service in the host's
namespace object.  Anybody have a clue what the message means?

Thank you --

Marian Williams
williams@ulowell.edu        (no 'm' after williams)
williamsm@raven.ulowell.edu (this one has an 'm' after williams)

[I posted this message last week, but it seems to have been lost.
Apologies to anybody who gets it twice.]