8.1 Woes: X-Server; CDROM net access from 3600s.

    Date: Fri, 07 Jun 91 07:22:34 EDT
    From: rjb1@gte.com

    Two 8.1 installation troubles.  (I've called S/W Support on these, but
    I think they have their hands pretty full just now.  Maybe someone
    else knows the answers, or maybe this can save someone else some time
    by knowing about it before starting an install.)

    First, we have a mixed site, MacIvories and 3600s.  Planned to use
    MacIvory-hosted CDROM as SYS:**; to avoid Restore Distribution and
    save disk space.  Looked good on the first, MacIvory host, but trying
    to do a Load System (of IP-TCP) onto an 8.1 world on a 3600 resulted
    in a failure: "Bug at server:" ... trying to send a :CLOSE message to
    a CDROM probe stream, which is apparently a Bad Thing.  I haven't
    tried hard to debug this one yet, but I'm now pretty doubtful about
    using the CDROM for the main SYS directory.  (Sure glad we bought that
    extra Gigabyte drive....)

There's another problem, too.  The format standard used on the CDROM
supports only limited-length pathnames, so some system filenames have
been truncated, making some of the bundled systems unloadable and
certain source files difficult to find.  I don't think Symbolics has
announced a solution, so for now you'll have to perform a Restore
Distribution from the distribution files on the CDROM to your magnetic
disk.