CD-ROM w/ MacIvory

Has anyone been successful installing 8.1 from a CD-ROM
on a MacIvory?  I have been having problems even getting
things to copy successfully in the Finder.  The CD-ROM Icon
shows up normally, opening it reveals all the proper folders, etc.
but when I try to drag a file or folder from the CD-ROM
to my hard disk it spends a while in the progress dialog box
then says something to the effect "can't read ... (disk error)".

All of the rest of my CD-ROMs read fine.

I have tried things such as upgrading the CD-ROM software to 3.1, etc.
to no avail.

Any tips?

hal