moving color system from 3600 to 3640

    Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1991 16:03 EDT
    From: ks@dfki.uni-sb.de (Kurt Schreiner)

    Recently the monitor of our old lonely 3600 died and we won't spend
    the deutsch-marks symbolics demands for a repair. But we still need
    the color system (8bit) of the 3600.
    So my idea was: why not put the color system (color-controler,
    color-mem, color-paddle) in our 3640? There are tow free slots,
    (marked CC and CM = color-controler and color-mem??) and the only
    problems I can imagine are with different firmware revisions needed to
    run the color-system in the 3640.

    Has anyone done that before? Is it possible at all?? Both systems run
    Genera 8.0.1 if it matters.

I can't think of any reason why this should be a problem.  The 3600 and
3640 have the same bus architecture.  What "firmware revisions" are you
talking about?  As far as I know, there are no firmware revisions
necessary to run the color system.

                                                barmar