Problems with the 8.1 distribution tapes

    Date: Fri, 6 Sep 91 14:23:21 -0500
    From: basham@aio.jsc.nasa.gov (Bryan Basham)

    Hello Symbolics Support,

    I have recently received the Genera 8.1 distribution tapes and when
    I loaded the two "source" tapes I left out many of the systems that
    were UX and MacIvory specific -- so I thought.  One of these included
    the EMBEDDING-SUPPORT system.  After creating a Site world, I began
    constructing a "development" world with CLIM, TCP-IP, NFS, and X.
    Everything was loading great until the X-REMOTE-SCREEN system; it
    wanted the EMBEDDING-SUPPORT system to be loaded.  So I went back to
    the tapes to load that system -- low-and-behold, there was gibberish
    in those files.  Files with the LISP extension had information that
    looked like BIN files -- not all of the files, though.  Not only that,
    but there were two EMBEDDING-SUPPORT systems; one on each tape, so I
    loaded both to "get the full version".  Both of these had bad files;
    the second-tape version had the Patch directory info., but the
    system-dir file was gibberish.  Has anyone else had this problem
    and does anyone have a solution?

			    Bryan Basham

    PS - SLUGgers, please respond to my address below as I am not on SLUG.

    /-------------------------------------------------/
    /  Bryan D. Basham				  /
    /  NASA/JSC  Mail Stop: ER22,  Houston TX  77058  /
    /  (713) 483-2065				  /
    /  basham@AIO.JSC.NASA.GOV			  /
    /-------------------------------------------------/

I had the same type of problem when restoring the X-Software (for Gen-8-0)
from the distribution tape.

It seemed a to be a bug **in LMFS**, which
had renamed some files (e.g. some .bin - .ibin - .lisp - files where simply
interchanged), the contents seemed to be o.k. The software
support person here in Germany told me on the phone that this was a known
bug, which sometimes appeared when restoring or copying a large number of
files (??!!).

However, you can find out about the wrong file(names)
doing a :verify distribution (and meanwhile going out for lunch...).

Afterwards I renamed some of the files by hand, and a bunch of files had
to be simply restored a second time with fingers crossed.
That seemed to work for me, but it really was annoying  and
reduced my trust to LMFS a lot. (I can't really believe that there
should be such a severe bug in a file system that old!)
Any comments on that from Symbolics?

Stefan Bernemann

Mail: Stefan Bernemann        ! Phone:  +49-231-7549233
      c/o FhG IML Dortmund    ! Fax:    +49-231-7549211
      Emil-Figge-Str. 75      ! Email:  berni@iml.fhg.de
      D-4600 Dortmund 50, FRG !         ...!{uunet|mcavx}!unido!itwdo!berni