Any 3650/Fujitsu Eagle users out there?

    The service tech here suggests using a bad blocks file from any disk, then
    making the disk into one large paging file and running fix-fep-file on that.
    Fix-fep-file will lock out the real bad blocks. The cost is that some good
    blocks will be marked bad, but you save keying in the list.

I am sorry if I missed out during the "heat" of this thread; I was out
of town.  Still, I would like to throw in my 5 cents worth (inflation ;-).

A little over 2 years ago we scrapped 3 LMI Lambda Lisp machines.  Each
one had an Eagle.  I wasn't about to throw away over a gigabyte of
storage, so I connected them to 3 of my Symbolics machines (a 3675, a
3670 and a 3650).  As I didn't have any money (its tough to get money
for something your going to get rid of), I could not have Symbolics just
make IFS tapes for these disks.  So, on the advice of a few other
SLUGgers, I restored the IFS tape from an Eagle already connected to one
of my Symbolics machines, deleted the bad blocks file, made all of the
free space paging space, and ran a (modified, more thorough) version of
"fix-fep-file".  It picked up a few bad blocks.

Now to my real point.  I have been using these disks for over 2 years
without any trouble at all.  Granted, I am careful not to put anything
on these disk that I cannot restore or re-build (mostly paging and world
load files).  I expected that sometime I would get an ECC error (but I
haven't yet).  If this were to happen, all that would need to be done is
run "fix-fep-block" on the reported error spot to add it to the list of
bad blocks.

Yes, before the flames start again, I do realize that the "fix-fep-X"
programs are far from thorough, and just how dangerous this can be.  But
from my experience I can tell you that, if you are careful about what
you put on a disk hacked up in this fashion, it can be used.

James Lawton
Rome Laboratory
Griffiss AFB, NY   13441-5700
(315)330-2973

email: lawton@ra.rl.af.mil

Disclaimer:	The opinions and views expressed here are MINE!
		They may not reflect those of the Rome Laboratory,
		the US Air Force, or most anyone else.