lispm as unix-lpd host?

   Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1991 10:50-0400
   From: barmar@Think.COM (Barry Margolin)

       Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1991 19:59 EDT
       From: drstrip@cs.sandia.gov (David R. Strip)

       I know that the lispm can print via unix-lpd to
       a unix box, but can the lispm (which is the
       print server for our lispms (plural) provide
       lpd service to the unix boxes?

   No, there is no UNIX-LPD server in the Lispm software.

There is such software available on our anonymous FTP server; it
implements a server allowing Unix machines access to an lgp printer
connected to a lispm. I've written it long ago and will not update it
to new releases. But it has been running under Genera 8.0 here at GMD
and I'm almost sure it will be running in future releases with minor
work.

Instructions:
   anonymous FTP to machine gmdzi.gmd.de, password is your email
address (your Lispm will send NIL as the default password for
anonymous ftp and thus wont get access); look in directory
/pub/lisp/lpd/ where you'll find the relevant code.

The source is small and commented, documentation is rather detailed
and includes samples for the Unix /etc/printcap file.

	--jc

  Juergen Christoffel, jc@gmdzi.gmd.de, (++49 2241) 14-2421
  GMD (German National Research Center for Computer Science)
"Lesen erspart Ueberraschungen!" Hermann Heimpel, Historiker