Re: performance with >> 9 MW of memory

> Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1991 16:58-0600
> From: David Gadbois <gadbois@MCC.COM>
>
>     Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1991 15:11 CST
>     From: moon@cambridge.apple.com (David A. Moon)
>
>     > Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1991 14:42-0500
>     > From: pan@ATHENA.PANGARO.dialnet.symbolics.com (Paul Pangaro)
>     >
>     > I have heard second hand that performance of symbolics machines
>     > (certainly this was about L machines, maybe G's too, that is part of the
>     > question) "degrades" with more than 9 MW of memory. Anybody know
>     > anything about this? I have no other info
>
>     Maybe because, if I remember correctly, the GC support hardware on
>     "L machines" supports a maximum of 8 MW of memory.
>
> Huh.  Does this effect only GC performance, or will it cause general
> lossage?

I assume something horrible will happen.

> I ask because I found we had some unused memory boards lying
> around and was planning on sticking them in one of our 3650s.  If upping
> the memory beyond 8 MW will not make a difference or will slow things
> down, I will skip doing it.

I don't think there are any slots you can stick a memory board into that
will cause it to be assigned to an address that doesn't work, unless you rewire
boards.

This is all based on my memory of stuff from seven years ago, so it may
all be phoney.

Note that 3650s are not "L machines" so none of this applies to you.
You can put lots of memory on a 3650.